Monday, February 28, 2011

A question of forgiveness

Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. Simple enough to understand, but not always that easy to apply.
Whilst teaching the kids on Sunday morning about the unmerciful servant, Matthew 18:21-35, it occurred to me that i have an irrational process for forgiveness.
If somebody should steal from me i find it relatively easy to forgive. Let me down however and that's a different matter. God forgives all if we are truly repentant. No thinking about it, no hiding His disappointment, just to bring it up again, next time we fail.
God is the centre of my everything, and Jesus my only benchmark. I have a long long way to go to be within a few miles of that target. Why then do i harbour such disappointment? Alan Pardew. Struggle to forgive him. Hope he fails at every club he ever goes to. Crystal Palace. Want to see them lose every week. Cannot forget how they treated during our spell at Selhurst. Irrational?
When football is concerned i cant forget. Does this mean i put football before God. No way. God first, wife second, football coming in fourth behind friends and family.
I have no answers to this, but there must be something deep inside me that says 'Don't mess with my football club or else!'
Hopefully my Heavenly Father will be a lot more understanding than me!

Steve Gritt, former Charlton player and manager was a guest on Charlton Live last night. Any questions for him asked the panel? I so wanted to ask if he was bitter about Curbs success, and had he secretly hoped our former manager would fall flat on his face? But i didn't. Instead i posed the question, who did he room with and what did he do to annoy them?
Wrong question! He has no irritating habits, apparantly. Or at least none he is willing to admit to on the radio. But still a top bloke with some great stories of his time in charge of Brighton. One of football's real stars in my eyes. He's got no hair but we don't care.........................


Last week i treated myself to an album on iTunes. Don't do it often but hey, i felt like pushing the boat out. Spear of Destiny - World Service. I first heard this record while i was still at school, and to be honest had forgotten about it. It saw a slight change of direction for the band moving, like many others of the time, to a slightly more pop sound.
But i love it. Every single track is a powerful song in its own right. Come Back was a single release from the album i remember, although i'm not sure if it even broke into the top 40. Mickey is a great punk/pop ballad about a young man's war following in his family's footsteps. Quite a moving song. It's played constantly at the moment and to me, still sounds as fresh as it did the first time. Money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment